Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Review: My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"There are some things we do because we convince ourselves it would be better for everyone involved. We tell ourselves that it's the right thing to do, the altruistic thing to do. It's far easier than telling ourselves the truth."

This book was STUNNING! Picoult writes from the views of different characters, allowing the reader a well-rounded look at the story. When Sara Fitzgerald discovers that her daughter Kate is diagnosed with leukemia, she vows that she will protect her daughter at all costs, even if that is the cost if another's life. And that is just the reason why her third child, Anna, is born. Kate relapses with leukemia time and time again, even with the use of Anna's bone marrow and granulocytes (among other aids to Kate). Up until Kate's need for a kidney, Anna is selfless when it comes to her sister. Anna is starting to question who she really is, for she has always been defined in terms of her sister. She makes the most unthinkable decision that will tear her family apart and may even have fatal consequences for the sister she so dearly loves.

"There are orphans and widows, but there is no word for the parent who loses a child. It turns out that after all these years I have spent anticipating this, I am completely at loss. Like coloring the sky in with a crayon; there is no language for grief this big. I wait for a change. And then I feel it, as her heart stops beating beneath my palm - that tiny loss of rhythm, that hollow calm, that utter loss."

We are all told how important it is to do the right thing, and sometimes the right thing is too much to ask. This book is a jaw-dropping, thrill, and emotional read that will never be forgotten. (P.S. if you have watched the movie, the book is a lot better, and the ending is TOTALLY different!!):)

"One fire burns out another's burning, One pain is lessen'd by another's anguish"

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Art of Feeling

The Art of Feeling by Laura Tims My rating: 4 of 5 stars This book breaks your heart and mends it up aga...