Thursday, July 18, 2019

Review: Hearts Made for Breaking

Hearts Made for Breaking Hearts Made for Breaking by Jen Klein
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Lark Dayton strings along any boy that comes her way, and is the queen of breakups. When she ends things with a boy, there are never any hard feelings, because she deliberately says something for the guy to have doubts about their relationship. Lark does not want to hurt anyone, nor does she want to hurt herself over a boy. Her best friends, Cooper and Katie, though, dare her to have a bad breakup with someone that actually matters- meaning she has to have feelings for a guy and then she would be able to break up with him directly.

"I'm determined to make it happen. After all, Ardy might not be like the boys I usually date, but... I don't know how to say this... there was something about the way he almost smiled at me. That tiny tension around the corners of his mouth did something to me, To my insides. It's like I got tense, too. But in a good way..."

Lark chooses "undateable" Ardy Tate, a mysterious challenge that transferred to her high school for his senior year. He has a bad reputation when it comes to breakups, and soon Lark is drawn to him like she has never been with any other boy. Ardy is different from any guy she's ever dated, for this is the first guy who does not seem interested in Lark like her ex-boyfriends were.

"But with Ardy, I'm oddly shy, maybe because I feel more like myself. Like who I really am, way down deep. The girl who someday could have the courage to use her voice to express real opinions... Ardy makes me want to be that girl right now..."

Ardy first just wants to get to know Lark and take everything slow (contrary to Lark's usual relationships). Ardy takes her on a spontaneous trip to Lark's utter surprise, and by the end of the night, she finally gets her first kiss with Ardy. Cooper and Katie have heard rumors of Ardy's previous relationships, which sparks Lark's curiosity. Will her curiosity completely break their relationship? Or will it allow Lark to uncover the truth about herself and Ardy?

I really enjoyed this book, and it is a perfect short summer read! I love the characters and their relationships, and the dynamic of Ardy and Lark. I love how the end of the book ties in with the beginning and I am anticipating reading another of Jen Klein's novels!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Art of Feeling

The Art of Feeling by Laura Tims My rating: 4 of 5 stars This book breaks your heart and mends it up aga...