Monday, July 22, 2019

Review: Cold Day in the Sun

Cold Day in the Sun Cold Day in the Sun by Sara Biren
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Holland Delviss wants to be known for her talent as just a hockey player, not as a girl hockey player on the boys' high school varsity team. She continually has to work hard to prove herself worthy of being on the team. To keep her spot on the team she sets 2 rules for herself: practice harder than anyone else on the team, and no dating anyone on the team (no matter who it is). Wes "Hot Sauce" Millard is the bossy team co-captain of the hockey team, and although they argue and bicker at each other till their wit's end, Holland seems to be noticing Wes more, as does Wes her.

"...the strangest thing happens as we switch spots. As I lower myself onto my rightful seat, he puts his hand on my back to steady me, pressing his strong fingers against me, warm and confident. I feel the heat through my Hanson jersey, a zing that courses all the way down to my toes"

When the boy's varsity team is selected for Hockeyfest, a televised statewide event, Holland becomes the lead story. Not everyone is thrilled with Holland's new fame, but there is one person who fiercely supports her, and its the last person she least expects- witty and bossy Wes. Wes keeps on surprising Holland with all of his charm and similarities. Wes shares her passion for 1980's glam metal, and touch is strangely electric to Holland.

"I'm about to say something snarky when Hot Sauce slides his arm around my waist, his fingers pressing lightly into the space just above my hip bone. I suck in a breath at the sudden warmth of his touch..."

With the cameras set to roll with Holland's interview for Hockeyfest, Holland is dangerously close to breaking her rule of dating a team player, but when she expresses her rule to Wes, their relationship experiences a stumble in the road.

"This. You and me. Being friends or whatever we are, I like you, Dutch. A lot. The time we spend together- it's the best part of any day. I like being with you as much as I like playing hockey. And playing hockey with you- it doesn't get any better than that"

The Hockeyfest pushes Holland to her limits and shows her how much her dedication and passion have led her to her achievements and spot on the boy's varsity team. The ending of this novel is so poignant and heartfelt and their dynamic made me smile A LOT. Anyone will enjoy this wonderful summer read!

"Life is kind of like one big search for meaning. We look for answers and try to make sense of the world around us. You need a decent soundtrack for all that s***"

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Art of Feeling

The Art of Feeling by Laura Tims My rating: 4 of 5 stars This book breaks your heart and mends it up aga...